Archive for the ‘World’ Category

Prosecutors appeal Hernandez’s voided murder conviction

Friday, June 23rd, 2017

Massachusetts prosecutors on Friday appealed a court ruling that erased former NFL star Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction in the 2013 killing of a semi-professional football player. Hernandez's conviction in the fatal shooting of Odin Lloyd was voided after the former New England Patriots player killed himself in prison. Under a long-held Massachusetts legal principle, courts typically erase the convictions of defendants who die before their direct appeals can be heard.

Intercept attempt fails in missile defense test off Hawaii

Thursday, June 22nd, 2017

HONOLULU (AP) - The U.S. Missile Defense Agency says it failed to intercept a ballistic missile during a test off Hawaii.    The agency said in a statement Wednesday the failure came during a test conducted with Japan's Defense Ministry.    The U.S. and Japan are jointly developing the interceptor to shoot down medium-range ballistic missiles. The allies have been investing in technology to counter North Korean missile threats.    The agency says a medium-range target missile was launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai late Wednesday.    The USS John Paul Jones detected and tracked the missile. The ship launched the interceptor, but it failed to shoot down the target.    This

Asian American band win top court case over offensive trademark

Monday, June 19th, 2017

The US Supreme Court on Monday allowed an Asian American band to trademark its name The Slants, which had been rejected because it was deemed a racial slur. The ruling is expected to benefit other organizations whose monikers have caused controversy, notably the Washington Redskins football team which has long faced protests by Native American activists who see the name as racist. Tam likened the use of the word to African Americans using the highly charged racist term "nigger" in their music.

Denver Broncos player from Manchester reacts to attack outside concert

Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017

DENVER — Born and raised in Manchester, England, Menelik Watson said he was shocked by Monday night’s terror attack. The 28-year-old tackle for the Denver Broncos posted a public message on Twitter after the bombing outside an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena. Watson called the people involved in the attack “absolute scumbags” in an interview with TMZ Sports. “Scumbags want to impose their will on people, you know, through terror and it doesn’t work. It never works,” Watson said. “And the city of Manchester will only get stronger from this.” “Whatever they’re trying to get across, there’s ways of doing it. I have no sympathy for them. None whatsoever,” Watson said. “To go out and attack

‘Bump and run’ carjackers target woman in West Town

Thursday, May 11th, 2017

The girlfriend of a Chicago Bears wide receiver was the victim of a brazen carjacking in a busy neighborhood using a tactic police are seeing more and more.

Judge vacates Hernandez murder conviction

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017

A US judge on Tuesday overturned the 2015 murder conviction of former American football star Aaron Hernandez, three weeks after he committed suicide in prison. Hernandez, 27 -- a former tight end for the New England Patriots -- hanged himself with a bed sheet in his cell at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center on April 19. The father of one had been serving a life sentence handed down in 2015 for the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd.

New Information Emerges From Hernandez Suicide

Monday, May 8th, 2017

In the days since former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was found dead in his prison cell, the internet has been awash with bombshell reports regarding the former NFL star. Almost every day has brought a new revelation about Hernandez’s life and death. A look back shows everything we know about Hernandez’s charges, his life in prison and his suicide.

Boxing – Alvarez-Golovkin could be anywhere – de la Hoya

Sunday, May 7th, 2017

- The mouthwatering middleweight showdown between Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Kazakh knockout king Gennady Golovkin is on, and Oscar de la Hoya says a stream of global venues are interested. "I really had several calls from around the world wanting to stage the fight," de la Hoya said in Las Vegas, where the mega-fight was announced after Alvarez dismantled fellow Mexican Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. "I literally have a missed call from Dubai, I have a missed call from the (United Kingdom), where Anthony Joshua and (Wladimir) Klitschko just sold out (a) 90,000-seat stadium, so there's interest from all over the world," de la Hoya said.

SUV in Aaron Hernandez double murder trial is up for auction

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017

The SUV prosecutors say ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez was in when he killed two men in 2012 is up for auction. The SUV's owner is a Rhode Island car dealer, who leased it to Hernandez as part of a promotional agreement. Hernandez was accused of shooting the two men after an encounter at a Boston nightclub.

Filing: Tossing conviction would reward Hernandez’s suicide

Monday, May 1st, 2017

A request by lawyers for ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez to dismiss his murder conviction would reward his ''conscious, deliberate and voluntary'' act of taking his own life, prosecutors argued Monday. Hernandez was serving a life sentence without parole in the 2013 killing of semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd when he hanged himself in his prison cell on April 19. The former New England Patriots tight end died five days after being acquitted in a separate double slaying in 2012.